United Technologies Corporation Associate Director, Strategy & Business Transformation in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Job ID: 01308418
City: Palm Beach Gardens
Country: United States
Category: Strategic Planning
Job Type: Full Time
United States of America
CAF77: CCS - CIB 13995 Pasteur Blvd , Palm Beach Gardens, FL, 33418 USA
Role Title: Associate Director, Strategy and Business Transformation
Carrier is a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, building controls and automation, and fire and security systems leading to safer, smarter, sustainable and high-performance buildings.
Carrier Transicold & Refrigeration Systems (Refrigeration) helps improve the transport and shipping of temperature-controlled cargoes with a complete line of equipment and services for refrigerated transport, industrial cooling, retail display and cold chain visibility. For 50 years, the Refrigeration business has been an industry leader, providing customers around the world with the most advanced, energy efficient and environmentally sustainable container refrigeration systems and generator sets, direct-drive and diesel truck units, trailer refrigeration systems, mechanical systems and refrigerated display cases.
The Associate Director of Strategy & Business Transformation will report directly to the Executive Director of Strategy and Business Development for Carrier Refrigeration. As a member of the Refrigeration Strategy team, the individual in this role will lead and support a wide range of strategy and business development initiatives with the strategic business units within Refrigeration (Commercial Refrigeration, Truck Trailer, Container, Sensitech). The Associate Director will help the business units develop strategies that drive above-market organic growth, taking into account customer needs, technology, regulations and competitors. The Associate Director will also work with the business units to identify business transformation/ improvement opportunities for the business unit towards improving customer satisfaction and financial performance. This role will help prepare various strategy and business development related presentations for internal (e.g., business strategy reviews, strategy planning sessions) and external (e.g., investor presentations) discussions.
The essential roles and responsibilities for this role will span 2 key areas: strategy development and business transformation
1) Strategy Development
• Work with the strategic business units in Refrigeration to conduct and coordinate market research
o Lead and guide primary and secondary research in areas such as segment analysis, segmentation, customer needs, etc.
o Analyze industry structure, business models, competitive dynamics, and market/ segment attractiveness
o Assess the near-mid-long term implications of changes in customer needs, regulation, technology, channel dynamics, etc.
• Assist in strategy development by identifying the critical strategic questions for each business and defining/ refining “where to play” and “how to win”, and articulate the resulting actions to drive growth, improve profitability, and sustain competitive advantage
• Lead teams in solving strategic issues/ problems using a hypothesis-driven approach
o Provide project management and thought leadership to project teams
o Guide and coach project team members in using a hypothesis-driven approach
o Provide hands-on support, including serving as an individual contributor, when required
o Develop project deliverables and executive presentation documents
o Lead discussion of findings and recommendations
• Facilitate the annual long-range/ strategic planning process, working with Refrigeration strategic business units and finance function, and translate strategic plans/ actions into long term financial roadmaps (growth, profitability improvements, investments) and implementation planning
2) Business Transformation
• Lead and facilitate dialog to identify improvement initiatives/ opportunities for each business and help articulate the value of such changes towards improving customer satisfaction and financial performance
• Assist the business unit teams to translate improvement ideas into business cases
o Facilitate problem solving sessions and conduct/ assist with analysis to solve complex problems
o Assist with opportunity sizing through methodical analysis of critical value drivers and modeling financial impacts
o Where required, identify and pull in internal and external subject matter experts to leverage to assist with problem solving
o Help develop implementation plans, costs, timelines, risks and KPIs required to track progress
• Identify and assist with critical areas of capability development and investment to make the changes sustainable, including people, process, tools, etc.
• Assist in the development of change management plans to ensure that the initiatives are successfully implemented within the organization
o Help articulate the value propositions for customers and employees
o Apply a structured change management approach and methodology
o Identify potential people-side risks and anticipated points of resistance
o Develop specific plans to mitigate or address the concerns.
• Create and manage measurement systems to track adoption, utilization and proficiency of changes
• Be an active and visible coach to business unit management teams and initiative sponsors
• 6-8+ years of cumulative business experience. 3+ years in a major top tier General Management Consulting Firm and/ or 5+ years of strategy and business development experience in Fortune 500 technology, manufacturing or diversified industrials company
• Bachelor’s degree required and MBA or other advanced degree in business/ economics from a top-tier program is highly preferred
Experience and skillsets:
• Market analysis and big-picture thinking: ability to synthesize large volumes of quantitative and qualitative information (such as segment size, growth, evolving customer needs, segmentation drivers) into most critical insights about the evolution and future prospects/ paths of the market
• “First principles” problem solving: ability to break down the problem into the critical few assumptions/ questions that matter and evaluating those assumptions
• Analytics: ability to leverage the information at hand, create scenarios (different potential paths/ solutions), make reasonable/ creative assumptions and assess business implications – both quantitative and qualitative.
• Project planning and management: ability to translate the analysis into setting up business transformation programs. This requires and ability to set goals, develop detailed end-to-end workplans, establish timelines, create tracking mechanisms to stick to timelines/ budgets, delegate tasks, and manage teams.
• Be able to see the big picture and integrate disparate pieces of information from reports, scorecards, market research; synthesize findings and make recommendations to business unit leaders
• Communication: ability to influence stakeholders and “sell ideas”, as this is central to driving business transformation and strategy shifts
• Self-motivated, proactive and creative thinking: need pro-activeness, self-motivation and creative thinking to identify opportunities and create actionable plans (versus being reactive, waiting to be told what to do and how to do it)
Travel: Will vary based on business demands, but is estimated at 20-40%.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
Thank you for your interest in a career at United Technologies! We will soon upgrade to an improved job application system to simplify the apply experience. You will still be able to apply to any of our current job openings through December 18, 2018. On January 2, 2019, our new and improved job application system will launch; please check back on that date to see all of our job openings.