United Technologies Corporation Engineer, Advanced Manufacturing, Electronics in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Job ID: 01377154
City: Cedar Rapids
Country: United States
Job Type: Full Time
United States of America
HIA32: Cedar Rapids, IA 400 Collins Rd NE , Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-0505 USA
At Collins Aerospace, we’re dedicated to relentlessly tackle the toughest challenges in our industry – all to redefine aerospace.
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies– Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems – we’re driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
The next chapter of our future as an aerospace company is here, and we are excited about what this means for our employees and customers! Get onboard the Collins Aerospace Operations team and play a part in managing our innovative products from inception to delivery. The Operations team continues to grow and aims to strengthen the connection of Manufacturing Operations, Supply Chain and Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) across Collins Aerospace. In this dynamic environment , you will have the opportunity to network across our businesses and functions, all while improving the productivity, quality and efficiency of our operations worldwide.Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn’t be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organization, as well as our engineers – a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
Our industry-leading experts are setting the standards for the aerospace industry and paving the way for the future. But as new challenges present themselves, we need fresh, creative and motivated minds to overcome these hurdles, help us break barriers and achieve new levels of innovation. Do you have what it takes to join a global, diverse organization that doesn’t shy away from big opportunities? If so, we invite you to join our ranks and create the next generation of aerospace technologies.
Together, we will nurture an engineering culture that values intellectual curiosity, risk takers and integrity. A place where we will challenge ourselves, our teams, and the status quo and where we will work to find a way – the right way – to achieve what others can only dream of.
Advanced Operations Engineering (AOE) is seeking to add a Materials & Process Engineer to its staff. Advanced Operations Engineering is part of the Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and Technology organization that is responsible for developing and maturing manufacturing technologies and processes for Collins Aerospace manufacturing locations. Advanced Operations Engineering is focused primarily on electronics manufacturing process areas including, but not limited to, soldering, circuit card assembly, microelectronics manufacturing, as well as electronics cleaning, coating, and bonding processes. This particular position will focus cleaning, coating, and bonding processes and materials. Specifically, AOE engineers are tasked with developing means by which to reduce manufacturing process variability and improve product quality through the utilization of the correct materials, equipment, tools, and methods.
• Provide Materials Engineering expertise in the areas of non-metallic electronics materials such as environmental protective coatings, adhesives, encapsulants, sealants, insulating/dielectric materials, as well as cleaning chemistries, etc.
• Provide materials selection/evaluation and process selection support including process development, validation, and verification support. Support is most often required by Collins Aerospace Product Design Engineering organizations and Manufacturing organizations, but also by Program Management, Material & Supply, Reliability, Service Centers, and Quality Assurance as well as by external customers, business partners, and industry colleagues.
• Conduct engineering studies pertaining to electronics materials and manufacturing processes. Studies will include planning, managing, and executing evaluations, as well as documenting and publishing results and procedures.
• Support Manufacturing in the deployment of new materials and processes. This includes working with Manufacturing Engineers, Industrial Engineers, Manufacturing Trainers, Manufacturing Quality Engineers, etc.
• Assist Manufacturing personnel with resolving manufacturing process issues and fielding general process inquiries of broad scope and high complexity.
• Design and oversee complex failure analyses and product/process troubleshooting lab analysis.
• Conduct research pertaining to materials & processes analysis/lab equipment and participate in capital planning for, attainment of, and installation of such equipment.
• Participate actively in relevant government & industry forums in order to keep up-to-date in state-of-the-art electronics manufacturing to ensure understanding of the applicability of various manufacturing technologies to Collins Aerospace electronics manufacturing in the technical areas of responsibility.
• Identify opportunities where manufacturing technology insertion can reduce process variability, improve product quality, and/or solve problems identified by Manufacturing personnel.
• Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline; preferably Materials Science Engineering with a focus on non-metallic electronics materials, chemistry, and electronics manufacturing.
• This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 3 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required.
• Broad knowledge of electronics manufacturing process equipment and processes.
• Experience with electronics assembly, workmanship, and testing.
• Experience with materials test procedures and analytical lab equipment/techniques such as Ion Chromatography, Surface Insulation Resistance (SIR) testing, Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, dielectric strength testing, materials compatibility testing, chemical resistance testing, etc.
• Experience with manufacturing process validation and verification.
• Experience with statistical analysis and designing experiments.
• Familiarity with failure modes of non-metallic electronics materials.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills in order to establish effective working relationships.
• Strong presentation skills in order to effectively communicate all test results to internal and external customers.
• Must be able to obtain security clearance. Work requires individual to have full access to manufacturing areas that are export restricted and the ability to obtain a Security Clearance at some point in the future if asked to work on restricted programs/products.
• Must be able to effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, meet deadlines and manage time independently.
Position requires some travel. Travel to and from Collins Aerospace facilities in a 100 mile radius of Cedar Rapids, IA is occasionally required. Additional domestic travel required (10%) can be expected and international travel may be required on occasion.
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form – with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• And more
Apply now and be part of the team that’s redefining aerospace, every day.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
Thank you for your interest in a career at United Technologies! We will soon upgrade to an improved job application system to simplify the apply experience. You will still be able to apply to any of our current job openings through December 18, 2018. On January 2, 2019, our new and improved job application system will launch; please check back on that date to see all of our job openings.